Apart from the increase of international visitors, the development of heritage tourism, the release of new slogan and emblem of the tourism sector, 50 percent of tourist sites having standardized toilets for tourists is one of the boasts of the 2012 Vietnam’s tourism events.
Reporters who cover tourism have selected the 10 typical events of the tourism sector in 2012, as follows:
1. Vietnam welcomed nearly 6.85 million of international visitors and 32.5 million of domestic visitors, earning a total revenue of VND160 trillion (over $7.6 billion). In the context of economic recession in Vietnam and the world, it is a big success for the tourism industry to fulfill the basic criteria of 2012.
2. The National Tourism Year of the Northern Central Coast – Hue 2012 with the theme Heritage Tourism with nearly 30 cultural, sports, tourism events being held throughout the year, bearing the mark of Northern Central provinces, especially Hue culture in harmony with Vietnamese culture.
3. Ha Long Bay officially recognized as the new natural wonder of the world has contributed a world-class title on the outstanding value of Ha Long Bay and helped attract domestic and foreign tourists to the site.
4. In the eyes of journalists, another important is the International Tourism Fair ITE ai??i?? HCM City 2012 from September 13 to 15, with the theme “Four countries – One destination.” The event attracted the participation of more than 500 businesses, travel agencies, media companies from over 30 countries and territories worldwide. After eight times, ITE ai??i?? HCM City has become a reputable tourism event in the Greater Mekong Sub-region.
5. The new slogan and icon for Vietnamai??i??s tourism in 2012-2015 (Logo: a blooming lotus with five petals. Slogan: Vietnam ai??i?? the endless beauty. However, according to Mr. Nguyen Manh Cuong, Deputy Director General of the Vietnam National Administration of Tourism (VNAT), due to limited funding, the promotion of the new slogan and logo has not been implemented yet so visitors do not understand them clearly, resulting in limited effect.
6. Three hotels in Vietnam made the top hotels in the world by Travel + Leisure Magazine is also a pride. According to a survey with the readers of the magazine, three hotels in Vietnam, The Nam Hai (Hoi An), Sofitel Legend Metropole Hanoi and Park Hyatt Saigon, have good quality of service.
7. The switching of priority to the tourism markets of England, Germany, Russia, Japan and South Korea was implemented strongly in 2012. Vietnam organized many effective promotion and advertising programs in these countries, contributing to the steady growth of international visitors to Vietnam in 2012.
8. Although the tourism industry could build standard toilets in 50 percent of tourist site, this is still considered a success of the tourism sector in 2012 because for a long time, dirty toilets affected the image of Vietnamai??i??s tourism in the eyes of foreign visitors.
9. Da Nang, Khanh Hoa and Binh Thuan made breakthroughs to become important tourist destinations of the central region and the country.
10. The conference honoring the leading travel firms and hotels in Vietnam in 2011 was mentioned as the driving force for the tourism industry to continue overcoming difficulties in the new year.
VNAT officials said that the agency would be in parallel with businesses in attracting and servicing international and domestic travelers. Some plans to reform and increase investment in tourism have been submitted to the Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism for approval.